THE TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR SQUARE DANCING
1. Thou shalt square dance only for the fun which thee will find in it.
2. Thou shalt not be a snob, considering thyself too good to dance with any and all, sitting out the mixers, or leaving a square lest thou be required to dance with those whom thou deem most unworthy of thy talents, for the gods of retribution are zealous gods and will visit their mischief upon thee, and thou wilt be the one to goof the square.
3. Thou shalt be exuberant, but shall act thy age. Do not offend others by thy high-flung legs.
4. Thou shalt go abroad and dance with other callers so thy opinions expressed as merit of this one and that one are based on facts.
5. Thou shall not let the stranger in thy midst sit on the sidelines and cool his or her heels, nor fail to speak to him or her.
6. Thou shall bathe diligently that the sweet aroma of soap and shaving lotion may assail the nostril of thy associates.
7. Thou shalt take care that the words of thy mouth are not scented with garlic or beer.
8. Thou shalt honor thy club and give loyally, for it thou canst not do this, it were better to separate thyself from it and join thyself to another whose methods, members, and callers are more to thy liking.
9. Thou shalt not kill thy club with bickering and fault-finding.
10. Thou shalt not forget that thou were once a beginner, too.